Sunday, May 1, 2011

Eggs

I love eggs! I know there are those who don’t, but I certainly do! I think over-easy is my favorite- served on top of a hot golden pancake.

A while back, I was making an egg salad sandwich. I generally boil 2 eggs, peel them while hot, then cut them up and mix them with some mayo. I pile it on a slice of bread, add another slice on top, and chow down.



As I was getting ready to peel the eggs, I had a couple little friends who wanted to watch. The 5-yr old asked if they were both eggs, seeing as how one was brown, the other a lovely pale blue-green (yes, both from domestic chickens). I told her yes. Then I asked her sister (3) if she thought the inside would be the same.. or different?

Smart girls, they both said they thought the eggs would be the same inside. So I cracked and peeled both eggs. Yup, both were white under the colored shell. So we went to the next level, and as I cut them up, I showed my little friends what was inside. The eggs were the same- white with a yellow yoke.

I told the girls that chicken eggs are like people- we find both in a variety of sizes, colors, even shapes. But at the end of the day, we’re all pretty dang similar inside. Internal anatomy doesn’t differ a whole lot.

Eggs are still eggs…
And people are still people.