Sunday, January 13, 2013

My Father's Daughter

Once upon a time, Dad was asked to teach a dutch oven cooking class. He made 2 or 3 different dishes, as well as a desert- pineapple upside down cake.



One of the people attending the class asked my dad afterward how many times he had made the cake.. He said "Once.. tonight!"

Bravado!

Well, I did something similar, Monday night. I was at a friend's and we decided to go grocery shopping. I went along for fun. She supposedly went for eggs, but visited the bakery, fresh produce, as well as the dairy section. While in produce, she chose to get a couple pomegranates. I told her I knew of a super-easy way to get the seeds out of a pomegranate.. without the bowl of water



"All I need is a good knife and a wooden spoon," I said. "It's easy!"

We took the lovely foodstuffs home, and I found a knife, a small bowl, and was given a wooden spoon to use.

I scored the pomegranate around it's "equator," set aside one half, and placed the second flat side down in my palm. I smacked that sucker and the kernels just fell out. Easy peasy!

One of the people there asked where I learned how to do that, I said, "Youtube."



I then admitted that I'd never done it before!

Yep, I'm my father's daughter!