Sunday, April 9, 2017

Happiness

For real??!?
Once upon a time, I was a foster mom. One morning as we were getting ready for school, G-10 got on her brother, B-11. This was nothing unusual as she had a habit of poking at him. I asked what the row was about. Apparently, she didn't like his fashion sense: he was wearing sweatpants.. AGAIN! I told her that I hadn't noticed. The pants were reasonably clean, and I was just glad he was wearing pants!

My daughter didn't understand that her focus on the negative affected other aspects of her life... and that focus was a choice.

I saw this video a few weeks ago:



Happiness is a choice.. and brings a tremendous advantage to your life:

The Happiness Advantage:
Better Secure Jobs
Better keeping jobs
Superior Productivity
More Resilient
Less Burnout
Less Turnover
Greater Sales

Mr Achor suggests some things we can do each day to increase our own personal Happiness Advantage:

* 3 Gratitudes- Get a notebook or open a new document in your cloud storage or get a big poster paper and put it up in your bedroom or kitchen. Each day, write three new and unique things you're grateful for.
* Journaling- Each day, write about one positive experience you have had over the last 24 hours.
* Exercise- This teaches the brain that behavior matters. How we act, what we physically do affects our brains and how we think.
* Meditation- Stopping and focusing on one thing helps overcome the "cultural ADD" of multitasking and allows you to focus on the task at hand and be present.
* Random Acts of Kindness- Whether it's writing one positive note or email to someone in your social network or complementing a friend on their cute skirt or doing a chore without being asked... Do one kind thing for another person.


2/9-
I'm grateful for good friends who laugh with me.
And for my health.
And for indoor plumbing.

2/10-
The internal combustion engine
The internet
My mother

2/11-
Strength
Pork chops
Wi-Fi

2/12-
My bed
Church
Helen's insight- praying for protection against discouragement.

2/13-
Laundry machines
Computers
My car

2/14-
Christopher Columbus
Chocolate
Water

2/15-
Job interviews
Telephones
Milk


What are you thankful for?